Friday, August 13, 2010

WYSIWYG or who I don't accept compliments well

So one of our procedures at work constantly uses an acronym WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get), which I think is kind of hilarious, gotta love the engineers who wrote it. What it means is sort of a "preview" so if you type a message into the printer it will show you exactly how it's going to print it.

This got me to thinking of how awesome this acronym really is... I mean I can totally describe myself with it. I work pretty hard on making sure that my actions match up my words. Simply because it is a huge pet peeve of mine when people don't mean what they say. I hate flaky people. I don't see how you can say something and don't mean it. I guess I'm naive like that. So if you want me to believe something you better show it rather than say it.

I've been told several times that I'm pretty bad at accepting compliments. I typically shrug or laugh them off. And it got me thinking... I think it's because the best compliment you can give to a person is not a verbal one. Words really pretty much mean nothing if there isn't an action to back them up. I have experienced it first hand too many times to actually take what people say seriously. This is not to say that I don't ever compliment people, I definitely do... but I think if I like someone they will know about it far sooner than me actually saying those words. This doesn't apply to just "boys" either, even more so with friends, I hate people who put no effort into friendships and flake out at you at the last second. In the past year or two I majorly weeded out my friends. I pretty much made a vow to myself that I will not associate with people who wouldn't do for me what I would do for them. That being said I consider myself a pretty loyal person and I will go out of my way for the people I care about, no problem. But as soon as I see that the other person is just using it or if I need help and they are nowhere to be found, as sweet as I am I can be a bitch too.

rant over

No comments: